Pokedex – Magikarp 129
Magikarp is a water type Fish Pokemon that can be evolved into a Gyarados upon reaching level 20. Magikarp is basically just a red fish with a dumb look on its face. It is basically considered completely useless until it evolves. No matter what Pokemon video game you are playing Magikarp’s special ability will always be Swift Swim. Now for all the silly random facts about Magikarp.
- Magikarp is 2 feet and 11 inches long
- Magikarp weighs 22 pounds
- Magikarp’s shiny form is golden
- Magikarp’s name is derived from the words magic and carp.
- Magikarp’s secret ability is Rattled
Magikarp has to be one of them most mocked Pokemon in history. Most of this due to the fact that the only move it can do is splash. The move splash does absolutely nothing. Magikarp is one of the most common Pokemon in all the games since you can basically throw a fishing rod anywhere and be able to catch one. Well there is not water in every area in all the Pokemon games so I will list all the actual locations where you can find water to fish for your very own Magikarp.
- Yellow/Blue/Red – On Route 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, and 25.
- Crystal/Silver/Gold – Fish in the Lake of Rage
- Emerald/Sapphire/Ruby – Fish literally anywhere with any rod. Check your map for cities near water
- LeafGreen/FireRed – Fish anywhere with the old Rod or you can buy a Magikarp from a salesman for 500 credits
- Platinum/Pearl/Diamond – Fish anywhere in the game with an old rod.
- SoulSilver/HeartGold – Fish anywhere in the game with any rod
- White/Black – You can buy a Magikarp from a salesman for 500 credits
Even though Magikarp is available in every game, in games like White or Black it is a bit more annoying to go and buy one. So remember that you can trade or migrate your Magikarp to any of the games that you like! It should be known that Magikarp is basically useless until you evolve it into a Gyarados. You will need to put him in battle and switch it out to get any XP. Once your Magikarp reaches level 15 it will learn tackle. You should be able to battle low level Pokemon in order to boost it up to level 20. Once your Magikarp reaches level 20 it will evolve into Gyarados and actually be useful! See my Gyarados article to find out how to most effectively use Gyarados!