How to Make a Minecraft Server
Minecraft servers allows players to play online with other people.
- Setting up a server takes some time, and some technical know-how. Don’t try to set up a server unless you have some basic computer and networking knowledge.
- Hosting and playing on the same machine is not generally recommended, unless you have a fairly powerful computer.
- Hosting a server from a computer that uses a wireless card is not recommended.
- Laptops don’t make for good server machines. They heat up quickly, and get very hot – which can damage the computer! In addition, they typically have lower end hardware in comparison to desktops and dedicated server machines.
- If you decide you don’t want to host, but still want to play online, check out the public server options in the Minecraft servers area of the Minecraft forum.
- If you still want to manage a server, but not from home, check out the Minecraft server hosting area of the Minecraft forum. Expect to pay monthly for this type of server.
- Refer to http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/ to see whether you should host a server, based on your internet bandwidth.
- The more memory your computer has, the better. It’s recommended to have more than 2 GB, that way plenty is left over for the operating system, and you have the possibility of allocating more to the Minecraft server.
- A dual core processor, or better, is recommended for hosting. A single core processor can be used, but only if you are hosting for a very small number of players.
Server commands and known issues
See the known bugs page for known single/multiplayer issues.
Special note: Atheros and Realtek network adapters are known to not work well with Minecraft in general. If you experience a total loss of internet (requiring a reboot), or constant disconnects, check and see if you have either brand of network adapter installed. If you do, you can try updating the driver for the device directly from the manufacturer. If a driver update does not fix the issue, the general solution is to buy a new adapter (anything from Intel is recommended as a replacement).