Some of The Best Truly Free and Open Source Games on The Internet
The internet is filled with rubbish games that claim to be free but are in fact ad ware, propaganda or just plain boring. Rather try these totally free, totally ad free and totally fun games. These games contain something different that make them truly unique.
This super addictive open source game blends elements of team based FPS (first person shooter) and RTS (real time strategy).
- Choose to be an alien or human player
- Build up to 16 different structures; each with it’s own functions
- Scale walls as an alien waiting for an unsuspecting human to pass by
- Realistic physics
- Buy weapons and armor as a human
- Several alien classes with unique abilities
Fret on Fire is a game of musical skill. Play guitar on the keyboard while trying to be as accurate as possible. Many people believe this to be one of the most fun games ever made.
- Distinctive inverted keyboard gameplay style
- Supports guitar controllers or joysticks
- Hundreds of songs
When it comes to multiplayer games this must be one of my favorites, I don’t even know why but it’s just so much fun! And I’m not the only one who thinks so. Its one of the most popular open source games ever.
BZ Flag is a multiplayer tank battle game with no special features just a winning formula for the perfect package of distilled fun.
DftD is a graphically rich and engaging World War II submarine simulator.
I chose this game because it’s turning out to be the best free submarine simulator and everybody loves being the silent hunter…
This game is still in the ALPHA stage of development but playable and recommended none the less.
If you don’t believe me have a look at the screenshots.
I love this tactical-team shooter because in my opinion it’s one of the few games to add a variety of options and weapons without robbing the game of any of its fun or pace.
TC:E is a feature rich total conversion for Wolfenstein Enemy Territory and for me it’s even more fun than Enemy Territory itself.
You may be thinking: “just another terrorist counter terrorism shooter” but don’t be fooled TC:E is engaging and not just a brute force show of skill, many other factors play a roll. In essence TC:E is just a more realistic experience than the other games of this kind.
- Letterbox and widescreen modes
- Cross Platform Support (Win, OS X, Linux)
- Realistic weapon behavior simulation
- Iron sight aiming system, no crosshair
- Sophisticated ballistic simulation including multiple-layer object penetration
- Balanced, team specific set of real-world weapons (Grenades, Pistols, SMG’s, Assault-, Shotgun- and Sniper-Rifles)
- Lag compensation, client-side bullet prediction
What I looked at in this article is games with that little something special that transforms a game form just another game to the game I can’t seem to stop playing.
Many other free games are indeed very good but these games are something different and to me they seem to stand out.
Stay tuned for more games.
These are my favorite free games, you are welcome to comment and share yours too.