Running Ps2 Game on Pc
Detailed explanation of how to run a PS2 game on PC.
Just one year ago, I couldn’t even imagine running a PS2 game on my own PC. I had a AMD Athlon processor with a mere 450 Mhz speed, 64 MB RAM, and a 8MB graphics card. Just prior to my admission test in university, I found out that a game called Smackdown Vs Raw 2009 has been released. I, who used to play Nintendo’s WWF No Mercy back then was clouded with the thought about what would happen if I got to play in on my PC. On second thoughts, I lost all my hope ’cause we all know that doing such a thing is like making impossible to be possible.
I searched on the youtube and found out the beautiful videos of the game, stunning graphics and gameplay caught my mind. The only problem was I needed a much better PC to even give it a try. Once I got admitted to the university, Dad bought one for me, and to my utter surprise, I got the best that was available in the market that time.
Then I read something about an emulator called PCSX2. It is able to run PS2 games on pc. Initially I thought, how is it possible that a simple emulator can render PS2 graphics. Well, after reading related articles for the first time, I thought it was a scam, and since PS2 games cost more money than the normal PC DVDs, its also going to be a waste of money. I decided to dig deeper.
I visited the site www.pcsx2.net and read all I could about the emulator. But don’t even think of running the emulator without at least a CORE 2 DUO 2.6 Ghz pc and a good graphics card (256 MB is good but I recommend 512 MB). Here’s what to do
1. Download the emulator
2. Install it.
3. You will need original PS2 bios for it to work properly. Get it from rapishare. (You can also use torrents to download the complete package of PCSX2 0.9.6, to learn how to download with torrents read my article torrent downloading. Link = http://webupon.com/file-sharing/torrent-downloading/)
4. Open the emulator
5. Click configure.
6. Configure it in the way shown. To do so, please show the emualtor where to find the bios files and plugins. You will find it on X:PCSX2 0.9.6Plugins and X:PCSX2 0.9.6Bios where X is the drive letter where you installed the emulator.
7. Set up the settings as shown on the image.
8. Set the graphics to GSdx 890 (MSVC 15.00) SSE2. This will work better on CORE 2 DUO E73xx series but a higher edition processor will work with SSE3 or SSE4 if it is supported(for more info see the forum section on www.pcsx2.net). Click on configure->graphics. If the emulator supports your directX 10 graphics card you will see a green colour GSdx 10 else you will see white. Many options will be blanked out. Use pixel shader 3.0 if you can.
9. Use the USA v02.00 bios. It runs on my pc, and since SVR 2009 is USA version, it should work better.
10. Use Linuz Iso CDVD to run your game SVR 2009.iso file.
11. To do that insert the PS2 disc, and open Magic ISO (download from www.magiciso.com). Remember NTSC and PAL versions of the disc are available. Both will work but PAL versions will run smoothly on the PC.
12. Click on make Tools->Make ISO from CD/DVD
13. Click on output format and select Standard ISO Image File .ISO. Save the file as SVR 2009.iso
14. It will take a while to convert. After conversion is complete, take out the disc.
15. Open the emulator, click on File->Run CD/DVD
16. Open the file SVR 2009.iso
18. I think you will be able to configure the controls on your own. Choose LilyPad as the control. Maybe you will feel comfortable using it. One last thing, go to config->Cpu. Check every option on the left side if they are uncheked. In the frame limiting section on the right side, select VU Skip. If you have a CORE i3 3.00 Ghz processor, you can use Normal or Limit and set Custom FPS Limit to 60.
You can run Kingdom Hearts, entire Smackdown Vs Raw Series, etc with this emulator. Maybe this guidance is not enough, but was just a humble effort. Please comment.